Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I found the year 2000 update, I did what it said. So now what? Am I r

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpbear

Technical User
Dec 29, 1999
US
I found the year 2000 update, I did what it said. So now what? Am I ready or not?

Couple of things:<br>
The update you got, is it the one for Windows or your computer BIOS?<br>
<br>
There are two seperate issues here, the computer itself and the programs that run on it. The BIOS in your computer that keeps the internal time among other things needs to be Y2theK compliant. Check with computer manufacturer, they usually have step by step instructions to get you through.<br>
<br>
The programs are the second problem. Yes Windows (the Operating System) needs to be patched to comply with some internal workings of the OS, but you also have to look at any other programs you use. I.e. If you use Microsoft Office 97, you need to be at Service Pack 2 to be fully Y2theK compliant. Also any other programs you use, faxing, emailing, money management, pretty much anything out there needs to be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back