Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I forgot my root password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I run SCO OpenServer 5.0, but I lost my root password.

What assets do you have available? Emergency boot disks? Another 5.0 anywhere around? And how do you feel about reloading the OS and programs from scratch?

I don't have any emergency boot disks, I'd like to think there is a something that can be done other than just reloading the OS.

You might be able to kick out of the boot sequence in such a way that you could get into single user and manipulate around the problem and correct it.. But that puts the system at risk. What version of 5.0 are you running? I might load the same version to see what the possibilities are. I have been involved in this once before, but I don't remember what the solution was. And I'm better thinking while I have my hands on a keyboard.
And in the meantime write on a blackboard 500 times:
"I will make an emergency backup boot set of disks"
<grin>

as i recall you can boot off your emergency boot disk...when it comes up.....you're automatically root....changed the password then.....can't remember this for sure though....below is a clip from Unix Guru Universe website.....to set the root password to null so you can change it

hope this helps..

Donald (Zoonkai) Dixon

(you can access this info at

NULL ROOT PASSWD WITHOUT VI

As admins We never forget the root password,
RIGHT?

Although sometimes we do inherit machines in
which we don't know the root password.

Here is a way to null the root password from
the password file.

It comes a time in every admins life that we
will have to go into mini-root and change the
password file without the use of vi.

The following example shows how to achieve this
on the /etc/shadow file, but the same basic
commands can be achieved on the /etc/passwd file
for those platforms that don't support shadow
passwords.

Use &quot;ed&quot; - and the 13 dots method
---------------------------------
# cp /etc/shadow /etc/shadow.bak
# ed /etc/shadow
1p
s/:.............:/::/
1p
w
q

I agree with edfair and zoonkai.

You will need a boot disk. I do not think you have any other way options other than reloading the OS.

My question is do you need root priv. to create a new boot disk ? I have thought about it or tired ?

Yeah, you need root.
Suspect that he goes into user and exits back to login which eliminates SU access. But he would need pw there too.
There was a way to kick out of install on an earlier OS version, but think they made it harder when they redid the filesystem on 5.0.5. That's why I asked about the version. I've got a testbed machine that I could load with the same version and try but it doesn't seem he wants the help.
Another way would be to install on a parallel system with OS only and create EBDs there, or install a new drive 0, load the OS there,. attach the previous 0 as drive 1 and access the file there.
In any event, it will require a couple of hours of downtime, and could be messy. I've never been really comfortable diddling the passwords since Xenix.

Spent about an hour reviewing the process that I thought I'd used on 3.2v4.2 but evidently I either didn't do what I thought I had done, or I've forgotten a step. or 2.

The SCO version is r3.2v5.0.0. Someone changed the root password and forgot it. I appreciate all of your help. I'll look into the tips you have provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back