Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I feel dumb to ask this but.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sone4200

Technical User
Feb 18, 2007
US
Okay I acquired a p4 Motherboard and CPU, it is a socket 775 board... I dont have no idea about Intel boards... I mainly use an old Athlon XP board... The power supply hookup on the board is bigger than normal... I wen t to a shop, and they sold me a p4 compatible PS, but it is still to small.... what kind of power supply do I need?

It sounds as though this motherboard has one of the latest 24pin power supplies and you have been sold an older 20pin model (all current motherboards require a 24pin PSU)
The 24pin power supplies are actually backward compatible (most have a removeable 4pin section on the main power plug) so are usually the only type stocked now as they cover both new and old.
I reckon your supplier sold you one of his old stock so it just needs swapping for a current version with 24pins.
Some of the early 24pin motherboards would run quite happily on an older 20pin PSU but some wouldn't even boot. My recommendation would be just to swap it for the newer type.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back