Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I experienced this a few years back

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieJohnson

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
I experienced this a few years back when I first got into Access. No one was able to resolve it at this company. Fortunately I moved on to another company and never came across it again, until now. The dreaded "Program Error" message.

It gives you a popup with the title "Program Error".

It has no error numbers. The error message text is...

msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by
Windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.

Then there is a Cancel button at the bottom.

Your applications shuts down.

I hate this message. Where is the error log they speak of? This only happens on certain machines. I have been working in this application for months. Now when I open a certain report in this app, I get the message and the darned thing shuts down. I can open any other report. Anyone else can open the same report from their machine.

Now that I've vented, can anyone help me.

prodevmg@yahoo.com
ProDev, MS Access Applications B-)
May God bless you in the year 2002.

There are going to be a few error logs if your working on NT. The first is Dr. Watson, I don't use those error logs myself since they are very cryptic, you may want to look into that though.

The next set of error logs is this. Go into Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer

There are a few different types of error logs here there are System, security and application, you can switch between them through the File menu. Anything with a Red icon is a bad thing. Yellow warning and Blue, is just a notification. You may be able to find the source of yoru error there.

Though i suspect all you will find is, MSAccess.exe attempted to read the memory at 0x000??? the memory could not be read.

But I guess it's worth a try. Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca
"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."
I hope my post was helpful!!!

More than likely your running a program such as Dr. Watson. It overrides the normal error message and creates a log file. I originally had the same problem when Excel creating stack errors. You can view the log file with notepad, and look for the section that has the time/date stamp of your error.

The way I found the log file was to do a file search, and search by the date last modified. The file drwtsn32.log was the only log file created on that date.

I also used to get this message (win 2000 machine) and no one could fiqure out what it was..

Im not sure if reinstalling resolved the issue, but I have not seen it since I did a full reinstall of Office..

Thanks guys,

I see the Dr. Watson file. As mentioned by Craig it is very cryptic. Not much to build on. There was nothing in the event viewer. What baffles me the most is that it's just the one report (that has not been changed) and only my machine.

Thanks again. I'll keep searching. prodevmg@yahoo.com

ClientUser,

That's the only thing that made it stop a few years ago was overhauling the operating system.

I was hoping to get an actual cause. At least I'm not the only one bugged by this.

Thanks. prodevmg@yahoo.com

I've found most of my problems with these are caused by an insidious virus known as "Microsoft". The only way to seem to get rid of this virus is to change over to Linux, or purchase a Mac.

Thanks to everyone that gave advice. I am very impressed at the wealth of knowledge concerning this weird error message.

It turns out that the actual problem was....(drum roll please)...

...the UniqueValue property of one of the queries that creates the report.

There are three queries that actually make the report. Each query feeding the next. Somehow I inadvertantly turned on the UniqueValue property of the last query. This was not discovered until I started back-tracking and created a new query from scratch and compared the two. It turned out that I really did need to use the unque value prop and was able to set it in the first query. The user determined that the report had been wrong for the past three months. Figure that. I had mentioned earlier that other machines could open the report fine. Well that was not entirely true. Only one machine on the network could view it. Not sure why. The user of this machine downloads LOTS of Access untilies. Could be that.

Anyway, Thanks again. I look forward to being there for you guys.
prodevmg@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back