Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I deleted SirC32.exe and now cannot open applications, help! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

laite

Technical User
Aug 7, 2001
GB
I had been hit by the virus/worm sircam and it had infected SirC32.exe. Norton Virus Killer could not repair the file and so I deleted it. BUT - now I can no longer open any applications - this error message is given:

Windows cannot find SirC32.exe

This program is needed for opening files of the type
'Application'

You can do 1 of 2 things. You can reload Win98 over the top of its self. OR read the following post and look at reghakr's way of fixing (Could work for you).

thread615-116703 James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Norton antivirus ( also offers a free program on its website to automate the task.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

Amazing! An incredibly speedy reply. I checked out the reghakr solution, followed the instructions and the problem is now solved. Thanks - I'm really grateful!

Thank reghakr. He came up with the solution. :) James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Well we have to thank you because you gave the link. -Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.

You open up the registry and and go to Hkey_Classes_Root. Then scroll all the way down till you see "exefile." Click on the plus and go to "shell" then go to "open" then highlight command. Your string in the value data should look like this..
"%1" %*
Hit enter and it should work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back