Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can't send emails with an attachment of a large file :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeraldnBR

Technical User
Jan 6, 2001
US
Why it won't send with an attachment of a large file? I get an error saying it was too large file they wont allow.
Help?

How big was the file, and what was the error message. Some ISP's put a limit on the size they will allow, presumably because it can take up a lot of processing and hard disk space on their servers if lots of users send big files. Some mailserver software itself limits the size of attachments.

Is there another way to send the large file? some of my clips are about 2,000kb. I have tried zip them and they didnt reduce the size much.

If you are using Outlook Express you can break up large messages into smaller ones. When the group of messages is received, the mail program recombines them into one message. Usually this limit is one megabyte (1 MB) per message, including all attached files.

To send large messages

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.

On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.

On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.

That's pretty much it.

How about sending the file through a Messenger Service. I often send larger file this way but the other person also needs to be online of course.

Not the perfect answer but it works!

Sean.

what is the maximum file size COX @home.com server allowed? How can I find out? Thanks
happy.gif

Nothing on their website, I guess you'll just have to contact their tech support and ask, or just try a few settings and see what happens :)

How about breaking up the zip file in to a couple files and sending them indepedantly from one another? That should get around that barrier.... Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

breaking a zip file into two files.. how did you do that? I do have the zip program.. I don t see how I can divide the zip file into two. Thanks again

Are you zipping multiple files together? If so, just split the files across the two or more zip files.

You could also do disk spanning. You may have to put it on a couple floppies first, then transfer to your harddrive agian. But it does work.... Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

On the subject of breaking up files, an app called WinRar works like Winzip, but can break up the archive into smaller files

You can split the file into smaller pieces with File Shredder. (free) You'll then need to tell the recipient how to put it back together.

Or upload it to a web storage site like or some other one and then give the password and username to the other person and they can go download it at their convenience.

Sometimes when I'm in a bind and have to send a larger file that I don't think will transmit, I cram the stuff into one .zip file. I upload the stuff to my Yahoo briefcase account which gives me the option to email the file to someone as a link. Link's are very, very small. They click on the link and the file begins to download. Yahoo brifcase gives you like 20 megs of space and puts a limit of 5 megs per singular file uploaded, which is more than some allowable email attachment sizes. There are a bunch of free webdrive services out there, I'm sure one of them would work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back