Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can't see all the computers in my network, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomahawk

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
US
I have a small network with three workstations attached to a 4 port router running under Windows 2000.

Notebook 1 can see and access Station 1 and Station 2.
Station 1 can see Notebook 1 but not Station 2.
Station 2 can see Notebook 1 but not Station 1.

In summary, Station 1 and Station 2 don't talk to each other. However they talk to Notebook 1 and Notebook 1 talks to Station 1 and 2.

All three computers access the internet via the router and my modem cable.

What is happening? How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance

Check to make sure all your computers are assigned to the same workgroup. Also make sure your TCP/IP setting are correct. Are you using TCP/IP to communicate? Pay attention to subnets.

This shoulld be easy to solve. Most important is the network class and the workgroup. If you are using the router with a DHCP config then that should take care of the class of network providing all workstations are configured for DHCP. Protocols are the same I hope. By that I mean if you have diferent operating systems you may need Netbeui, TCP/IP and file and print sharing enabled on all the systems. Check for these settings and reboot all systems. Let us know. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

I can see the one computer I need to access if I double click on the network icon. But when trying to access it, W2000 says network path not found, computer not accessible. All disks are shared and I have given them access with password never expiring and yet I cannot get to it??????

Tell who is TCP/IP addres for Station 1,Station 2 and Notebook 1?

configure :

router IP :192.168.0.1
subnet:255.255.255.0

Notebook 1 IP :192.168.0.2
getway:192.168.0.1

station 1 IP :192.168.0.3

Station 2 IP :192.168.0.4

have you made sure that you have setup the correct sharing privileges in each computer. At each computer, click on the drive or folder you want to share, click on share, new share, fill it in with the share name, done.

That might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back