Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i can't reinstall windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinky71

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
US
I bought a old computer with windows2000server installed. I tried to reinstall windows 2000 bec. I don't have the password but it always boot on hard drive. I changed the boot sequence to cd-rom, floppy, networking and hard drive the last but it still boot on hard drive. When it boot it seems like it read on cd-rom and floppy bec. it light up for 5 seconds then it boot on hard drive. please help.

Hi,

the standard Windows 2000 CD doesn't actually boot by itself but puts a prompt on the screen to press any key to boot from the CD and gives you 5 seconds to do so. If you don't, it goes to the next boot device.

If this isn't the case and you're not getting the above, all I can suggest is creating Windows 2000 setup disks. The following link tells you how:

Cheers, Antony

in the BIOS either move "boot from hard drive" to last device or remove it as boot device entirely. set floppy to firt boot device.
get a boot disk and use either FDISK or GDISK to remove the non-DOS partition.
GDISK is quick and easy. you can find it via Google...
after that you should be able to install from CD-ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back