Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I cant install Perl Module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1980Kea

Programmer
Feb 11, 2010
UG
Hi folks. I very new to perl. I would like some one to help me. I need to install perl modules on my PC but cant get a head start.
The Module converts Shpefiles to SVG format. I found it here.

I downloaded all the needed modules onto my Windows XP PC.
Now in his writeup, he mentions that i need to install [Proj4 library] first before even using CPAN. I downloaded this too from Using my commandline, i navigated to the folder where i unzipped it. I perused through its read me, but i've failed to install it. I also downloaded a small software called Strawberry perl from But with it too. I cant get to install any thing. someone please help me.
I need this shapefile to "svg converter".

regards

I can get you part of the way only because I have found that I cannot get Geo::proj4 to install correctly no matter what I do.

Anyway, to begin:

I use activestate perl, not strawberry perl (which does not install correctly on my machine). I assume the following will work on strawberry perl, but if you encounter issues straightaway then I recommend installing activestate perl from their website.

Firstly, you will need nmake installed on your machine. If you do not already have it, get Nmake15.exe from

download.microsoft.com

Unzip this by running it in your C:\perl\bin folder (or strawberry perl equivalent).

Next, open a cmd window and cd to C:\perl\bin.

run the command 'cpanp' and you will be presented a prompt saying

CPAN Terminal>

Type in there:

i Geo::ShapeFile

You will get various messages on screen showing the progress of the install and tests, hopefully ending in a message informing you that it installed successfully.

You have to do all the following, in the correct order:

i SVG
i Geo::Distance
i ExtUtils::CBuilder
i ExtUtils::parseXS
i Test::Harness
i Module::Build
i Maths::polygon
i Geo::proj4

That is as far as I got because Proj4 refuses to install and I have not yet got to the bottom of why this is.

The ones you don't recognise above are prerequisites for the ones you want to install (a couple of years ago, wanting to install 20 modules, I ended up having to install 360 because of all the prequisites!).

I should have mentioned that you need to connected to the internet whilst doing the module installs as above.

Thanks tonykent, i was able to get to where you stopped. Couldnt install Geo::proj4 too. But in his writeup, he indicated that "The Geo::proj4 module requires that the Proj4 library be pre-installed on the system before CPAN can build your local copy of the Perl module. That libary can be downloaded from trac.osgeo.org."
I downloaded the version proj446_win32_bin.zip but i can see a way to install it. tried to copy it to the strawberry folder and run it but nothing happens.

if you find a way please help.

Don't worry. I too have found installing Perl modules, locally, to be a difficult process.

Some are easy (like HTML::Template - under a minute) but others require dependancy libraries and the docs are written by tecs, for tecs so we normal human beings, of above average intelligence have no chance of understanding the processes involved.

Keith

Thanks all for your support. I have got some windows software with GUI that does it good and better.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back