Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can't add sheets to my Excel file because it's protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
Somehow while protecting individual sheets I have somehow locked the entire workbook.

Stupid question. How do I remove it? I likely did it accidentally but if I entered a passcode, I definitely know what it is but I can't figure out how to unlock the entire workbook.

Sorry in advance.

Some random thing I did fixed it. Nevermind

Go to the Review tab.
There are buttons there for "Protect Sheet" and next to that is "Protect Workbook".
You may also find that you didn't set a password at all on it, if that's the case and if it asks for a password, just press enter.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCAP, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS, ATD

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

Yeah, I tried all of that, Protect worksheet that is. I knew the passcode. Didnt help. It never says unprotect Workbook. There was a check box that I may have turned off to “fix” my issues.

Thanks

Hi Scott24x7

I have the same problem. My Excel workbooks lock by themself for some reason without me knowing it. Don't know when, don't know how. I've tried your advice:

"There are buttons there for "Protect Sheet" and next to that is "Protect Workbook".
You may also find that you didn't set a password at all on it, if that's the case and if it asks for a password, just press enter."

If I press Enter I get this message... "The password you supplied is not correct. Verify that the CAPS LOCK key is off and be sure to use the correct capitalization." My capslock is off.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back