Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I cannot map to a shared directory on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briem

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
PG
I have created a batch file using the net use command. When it runs on a WIN ME laptop only 1 mapped drive is created, for some reason the other drives that I want to be created are not showing.

When I go to a DOS prompt on the laptop and manually run the login script, it comes up with error 50, "You cannot run that command from this computer".

Why they does it create a mapped drive but cannot create the other 3.

One differance between the 1 mapped drive that is created and the 3 that arent is the name of the folder. The folder with the short name is created but the folders with the long names are not created.

Also in network neighbourhood I can see the server but I cannot see the 3 folders that I want to map.

please help

Hey Briem,
Are the 3 folders shared on the server? You cannot see the folders unless they OR the drive is shared.
The sharename of a folder should not be more then 8 letters.

To assign (map) a drive letter to a network computer or folder

On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
On the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive.
In the Drive list, select a drive letter to assign to the shared resource.
In the Path box, type the path to the resource you want. For example, type:
\\computername\foldername

Notes

If a password is required to gain access to the resource, Windows prompts you.
To reconnect to the mapped drive every time you log on, select the Reconnect at logon check box.
To map to a computer or folder you've used recently, click the arrow to the right of Path, and then click the resource you want.
Mapped drives are available only when the host computer is also available.

Try this and I would guess you are only share one drive (LETTER).

[pc]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back