Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I cannot download the attachments/software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumar12345

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
US
Hello everyone...

I have a peculiar problem since 1 week. I cannot download any software/attachments on my PC & I'm using IE6. If I click on MSN Messenger Dwwnload button..I get nothing. If I click on any E-mail attachment download button....same problem. Could anyone help me out what's the problem & how to rectify it.

I'm using the PC from my home & not behind any kind of Firewall.

Thanks in advance & regards.....
Kumar

I solved a similar problem with help courtesy of Whitemtntn:

Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article ID: Q180553

To resolve this issue, delete the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension
(junk left behind by another application)

Hello pjsilver...

Thanks for your response....but its no way helpful.. I deleted the registry key which u have asked to do.....but no change at all. I can see a key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Extension, will it be helpful if I delete that key...

Could you pls. help me out....

Regards,
Kumar

Hi kumar -

Be careful what registry keys you delete or change. If in doubt, leave it alone. Many have had to reinstall their OS because they "tried" something to see what would happen.

pjsilver's same advice to me in my thread "IE downloading and Java problem" helped me because looking at the registry key hinted to me that the problem was related to a particular program that I had installed on my system - in my case, PKZip for Windows. Did the key that you deleted point to a file in a particular program's folders? Uninstalling that program might be your answer.

Cheers, PaulW (woggie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back