Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I cannot delete objects (even as Administrator off BOExi r2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eo

MIS
Apr 3, 2003
This only happens to some folders and objects, and there seems to be no difference between objects and folders that I can delete (such as objects rights for the Administrator) - I get the following error:
There was an error while writing data back to the server: Sorry, you do not have the right to 'Delete objects' (id - 22) for 'ATReO9s0uRtFveVGJfv_xfM' (id - 11881). Please contact your system or permissions administrator if you require this right.
I can delete the instances of the objects, but not the objects themselves...

EO
Hertfordshire, England

Hi,
Im quite new to BO ,but it could be that you dont have access to delete a specific object (typically a report) .log onto the CMC and check the rights for the reports if you only have a few .
Your error message appeared to refer to the id of a particular object.I think the input server will give you the path to the report folders.look for those ids in the folders.

regards.

Al.

I am Logged on to the CMC as Administrator, which by default has full control over the whole system. There must be some other "glitch" other than rights, as this was the first think I checked.

EO
Hertfordshire, England

Is the Administrator id part of any groups besides "Administrators"? If so and any of those groups has "Explicitly Denied" for deletes, that will override any access that the Administrator group gives.

Explicitly Denied overrides all other rights assigned to a user - including Explicitly Granted.

Explicity Granted grants access.

Not Specified denies access unless Explicitly Granted in another security setting assigned at the group or user level.

My general rule of thumb is to NEVER use Explicitly Denied. I also do all security at the group level and not a the user level. If I want a user to not have access to do something, I'll assign (and if necessary, create) a group that has that particular access set to Not Specified.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

EO

You are not crazy - you are not imagining it - I have the same issue - I went live with my system 3 weeks ago - BO is now asking for my CMS database and Input/output repository because they can't work it out.

They (techs in india) say they can replicate the error - but no solution is provided.... this is the worst piece of ****** I have ever had to deal with.

I have been a Crystal Enterprise Administrator for over 5 years and I know the security model inside and out - it is bugs - not inexperience!

As you might have inferred - BOEXIR2 is giving me trouble.

Good luck - I know I need it!
Cheers
paulmarr

Thanks paulmarr

Please let me know here when and if they find a solution to this. In the short term I have renamed the folder "Obsolete" as well as the reports inside it. I have even deleted the reports from the Input file store, but they still exist on BOExir2

Very odd indeed!! Or rather very 'bugged' indeed!!

EO
Hertfordshire, England

EO

BO have provided me with an explanation as to why this occurs and what to do to correct it.

Apparently it relates to exporting the discussion threads along with the reports at migration time - CEv10 handles discussions differently from BOEXIR2 - so what happens in the the migration is.... the owner of the discussion becomes the owner of the document in BOEXIR2. Since our company rarely if at all used this feature - the owner of the discussion is...nobody - so when the object is migrated - the new owner is nobody - which causes the error.

There is a piece of SQL that has been supplied that will correct the problem - if you want I can provide this to you - but let me apply it to our test box first to verify it works!

Did they ever get back to you?

Cheers
paulmarr

Paulmarr,

That would be great. I can also apply to our test machine as an extra test of you want. I await your correspondence.

Many thanks,
EO

EO
Hertfordshire, England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back