Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can ping server but cannot connect to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscoric

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2003
US
I have a windows 2000 server. It is running wins and dns. Although the wins is not working. I can ping the server but when I look for the server in Network Places I cannot see it. Also I cannot connect to it through the IP address. When I am on the server I can see it and connect to it. I also have another server that I can connect to but cannot see the netbios name in net places.

Has it always been this way. What does ipconfig /all show? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"If I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent."
Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)

This is usually a name resolution problem. Even if you can still ping it, wins is usually the problem. The nbtstat will help you troubleshoot it. If you have a valid wins server on the network, and the server you are trying to connect to is pointed to that server, then a nbtstat -RR might fix the problem.

maybe you stop the service "computer browser"?

check to see if any IPSec policies are on either of the machines, if so try turning them off and see what happens.

good luck

I ran ipconfig /all, this shows all of the correct information for this server. The nbtstat -rr did refresh the table but gave me no results.

This has been happening for a few days now. Before that it was working fine.

Still no luck.

Few questions.

Are you in a domain or a workgroup?
What happens when you try to connect by IP, and how are you doing it?
Try in a command window 'NET VIEW \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'.

When you do 'ipconfig /all', what do you see for 'NetBIOS resolution uses DNS' -- you may need to do 'ipconfig /all | more' to see everything.

When reporting back, be as specific as possible and include any errors you encounter. BTW, what happened to your WINS server? I think in the end, that is going to be the hangup.

What error message do you get when you try to connect through the IP address of the server?
Are you logged on to the local machine or the domain?

The error is cannot find network location. I am logged on to the Domain. Also, all pre-exsiting mappings still work and all computer that previously were able to log in to the domain still can, but I cannot add any new ones.

have u looked at the Ipsec policies? to see if any were set on the machine or in the domain?

are you using netbios over tcp/ip on the client and server?

yes > use nbstat to troubleshoot your wins

no > use nslookup to troubleshoot your dns resolution. try connecting with the full dns name.

start>run> \\name.domain.lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back