Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I building a new computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elziko

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
GB
...and I'm intending to buy and use a USB mouse and keyboard.

My question is how can I use the above mentioned devices in my BIOS setup and in my Win2K setup? Presumably since they are USB I have to wait until drivers are loaded in windows befoire I can use the devices?

I'm fairly sure that a BIOS wouldn't be capable of talking to the mouse or keyboard?

Or am I just being old fashioned and don't know what I'm taling about?

Cheers,

elziko

Depends on how new the BIOS are, however, I do doubt it. I would suggest going to a computer parts store and buying tow USB to serial converters for a dollar or two a piece. Install your OS, then remove the converters, and use them as USB, if you are so inclined to do so.

New hardware has support in BIOS for USB devices. In your CMOS, enable USB keyboard support (probably under integrated periherals) and DOS support of USB. This assigns an IRQ to the USB ports. In fact, WIN2K handles USB support of certain peripherals natively, without the need for additional drivers. While not all features may be available without additional drivers (or at all in the case of some peripherals), the basic functionality is there. One additional note, Win2K does not always handle hot-swapping of USB devices gracefully. You can stop USB devices much in the same way you would stop PC cards, at which time you can remove them, but plugging them in without rebooting seems to be hit-or-miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back