Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am now Certified in A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getmikee

Technical User
Sep 4, 2005
US
Hello fellow Techs,

I passed my OS A+ Friday with a 684.
This was the 2nd part of the A+ for me.
I was real nervous when I took the hardware...been out of school awhile. lol
Friday was a breeze as it was my 2nd exam there and I wasn't nervous. Confidence made the difference for me.
I used Jean Andrews 2003 New books, the testing software that comes with it (Certblaster & Course technology), of course I also used the free 15 question test sites (passitnow, etc.).
Next up for me is Network +...2005 Objectives on the new exam sounds like fun. I plan to wait for the "new" books to be published in October. Meanwhile I will study the OSI model.
Good luck to all...remember, Whether you think you can or can't, you are right!
Getmikee

Getmikee,

Great job on A+ !!

I did Network + with Mike Myers and CBT Nuggets. I also have a very extensive home network with 11 computers and Cisco hubs, switches and routers.

Great way to understand networking is to set one up and then play with it!

I have bought all of it on Ebay ! You can get Pentiums and Pentium 2s for nothing - most under $50.

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Getmikee,
Congrats on your pass....

CiscoGuy33's suggestion should do some good for you. There is nothing like a little hands on to get you to understand it....

Thank you CiscoGuy33 and tfg13 for your encouragement.
I know you guys are right on when it comes to "learning" this stuff! Your feedback means alot.
I believe the parts of the (networking)puzzle will come together for me while studying for the Network+, it did for me when I studied the A+, although I've been building and repairing computers as a sideline for 7 years.
Networking is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Anyone can (imho) set up a broadband modem, Linksys router and share folders...it's another thing to solve problems with a 2003 MS Server, whether it's a data server, web server or especially a MS Exchange server...that's a toughie! I happen to be lucky to have a brother-in-law who does this stuff for a living...without anything more than an A+ cert. I am getting him fired up to study and get his Network+ with me! I know he can do this easily (I thought)..but after he did a few of the 15 question deals on the passitnow site, he got discouraged. So I told him what someone else said about the comptia exams...There is a right answer, a wrong answer and the comptia answer. Always choose the comptia answer! lol For example, there was a simple scenario regarding a client machine's connectivity to the server (no connection), he chose, "check the back of the pc's nic card light" (not verbatim), it was the wrong answer..they wanted the tech to ping first. Mind you, he does this for a living.
Anyway, my 3 year goal is to get out the business I am in and have my own PC repair shop offering mobile service also. I know the real money is in servicing businesses, especially Law firms. But mainly I want to be happy with what I am doing with technology. Network+ to me is a neccesity so I understand what is going on...although I understand that technology is changing rapidly and I should learn and keep up on wireless too. Do either of you tfg13 or CiscoGuy33 earn a living in the field?

I would say yes, but I recently got layed off (my company lost the contract, so they layed me off). But yes, I have worked in the computer field since about 1991. A lot has changed since then, and it seems like everyone and their brother are now "computer experts". No offense to these people, but they need to realize that setting up a home network is nothing like a business. Also, you would not believe the amount of "computer experts" that have not set up a wireless network correctly. I think you are on the right track as far as the needs of businesses and home users alike. You should include CWNA (all the way up to CWNE) in your certification path. It's in mine.

I don't know where you are located, but you do have a good idea with the Law firms, but don't count out the medical field as well. Doctors are always moving, and need their offices set up. My friend and I hit that market exclusively as side jobs, and can do okay. We could probably do better if we concentrated on it more, but we both have other responsibilities.

Good luck!

Hi tfg13,

I live in wpb, Fl. Here it is ALL service oriented and low-balling is a common practice in the fields that I work in. Recently I spent some money to advertise in the local "service guide" of the palm beach post newspaper, 3 days later another person started their ad with "Any pc service call $40". I charge $75 an hour. I don't believe in low balling. My first 5 calls from the ad came in and the potential customers were put-off by my service call price. Didn't hurt my feelings none, cause they are not the ones I want as customers...(people looking for the lowest price). I want the customers who expect and desire quality service, who know the difference between a hobbyist and an expert.
I did get a call from a small businessman. He owns a very profitable business, has 1 server, 5 machines, 3 printers, no laptops. He purchased a HP server and doesn't have a clue what a server is for. The initial call from this customer was neat. He called, we set up a time to meet him, we met and evaluated his needs. We is my brother in law and I. We emailed him our proposal. No response for 1 week...then...ta da last night he calls and says he would like to do business! Yes! So, we start servicing his network on Saturday. Nice small, simple network for me to learn (don't wince) with. Brother in law at my side, Network+ studying going on in my head = real learning! I am an expert when it comes to pc repair, software troubleshooting. What is new for me is Enterprise software..i.e. our customer uses QuickBooks for financials, yet does not use his $3000 server to hold the database. Yes, it's a $3000 HP with a Raid5. Anyway, on the initial visit, I noticed: "free AVG software installed (I don't recommend), Machines were crawling (I can clean up and speed up), Printers connected locally, I can network them, ect...You can't tell that I am excited, can you? ;-)
The businesses are where the steady income is, imho.
Let me tell you how the 3rd Home user call went: She called and wanted someone to set up her newly arrived bellsouth dsl modem and needed someone to "show her around" on the internet. lol After getting her location and an appointment time, she says, "how much"?, I told her and she said, "Oh my, I don't think it's worth $75, I think it's worth $50" this is vertbatim mind you...are you laughing yet?!
I told her that after she shops around and noone shows up to feel free to call me again. No hard feelings in business for me.
My brother in law used to work for the busiest and most respected Networking service company in Palm beach county florida. He is (imho) a helluva troubleshooter! I've seen him solve problems that the owners of the company and their eldest/best engineer couldn't solve. I've seen them second guess my brother in law, only to see at the end that "he was right" in his course of action to solve the problem correctly. This service company isn't interested in the integrity of the customers data, service level agreements, keeping techs long term or new technology. 90% of their customers are law firms, for a reason. Law firms are trying to go paperless, love wireless, palms, and don't mind paying for good service. Some lawfirms spend more than $40000 a year for service and this is "on need basis" instead of having a service level agreement. Service companies are alot like lawfirms, they're concerned with billable hours. They pay mcse guys/gals $18/hr and bill $105/hr They like to see 30 billable hours a week. It's good for the law firms and good for the service company, not good for the guys/gals trying to get ahead. These companies are not proactive and don't encourage teamwork. I know business is war first hand, I work for myself, but not in the technology field, yet. Politics and strategy are a way of life in business.
I earn a good living doing what I do, but it's 70% physical work. I'm a fast and smart worker which is how I am able to earn a good living. But fast will slow down with age..lol
My father lives in the daytona beach fl area. He tells me there isn't anyone who "knows their _ss from a hole-in-the-ground about computers" there. I hear this similar response from alot of places. I've spoke with realtors in cental florida, Alabama, Kentucky and Ga. I surmise that two or three things is going on. Either the customers are nincapoops who should be kept away from the system, the techs are incompetent or the techs are ripping them for multiple service calls. This is why I am considering the service level agreement: I make money and the customer is happier.
tfg13 I hope you get another job soon. Have you considered hiring on "in house" at a law firm? You can do it and earn $45000 plus. It is easy to show your value, compare the costs of service they presently pay, the downtime, wait time TO having "You" on-call in house working proactively preventing problems before they occur. Lawyers hate it when they can't access thier email!
Thanks for the tip regarding the medical field.
p.s. stay away from the realtors, most but not all, don't pay their bills, when they do they are late. Horrible business relationships.
Cheers and may we all increase our Ram and avoid IRQ conflicts!
Getmikee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back