Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am new in this industry and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrahamelp

Technical User
Apr 9, 2018
US
I am new in this industry and learning to bid, quote and estimate for Cabling drops, I am currently learning the parts needed for a cable drop. but now my dilemma is
Estimating time labor for a tech to install cable?
what would be a good formula to estimate labor time?
I noticed many companies charge a flat rate for dropping cable which includes parts, cable and labor. in fact my company does have one, but I would like to figure out, individual labor time for when i work in Government bids which must all be itemized!
Any insight and advice is greatly welcome and appreciated.

You'd have itemize it out like a car mechanic. If you get your numbers right, you should make a profit most of the time. Mechanics have a pricing book that itemizes out every job that can be done to repair your car. It may say an oil change costs $50 and takes 1 hour. The mechanic has to make sure they get the job done in under an hour, because they only get paid for that hour. The shop has to make sure that the labor and materials for the oil change both cost under $50 in order to make a profit.

Most cable installers charge a flat rate for a new home installation with one drop. Then add $ for each additional drop in the house. The necessary splitters would be included in that price.

If you're bidding for a government job, they're going to want as much itemized as possible. If you know the materials that are going to be required up-front, then you list those out. They aren't going to nitpick it to where you'd have to account for every connector - stick to the major components. If you think you'll need a 1000ft spool of cable, include that, even if you don't use it all. The key on a contract like that is you will regret it if you shortchange yourself. The GOV isn't going to care if you made a mistake on your bid. They'll hold you to it unless they request a change.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4, OpenScape Xpressions, OpenScape Contact Center, OpenScape Voice

go to your most experienced tech and ask him to ride along and help, if he doesn't feel like you're trying to steal his job but help him do his job better he will start to explain what hes doing and how long it takes to do certain things. Its not a one day thing, keep doing it when you can. Some techs are faster than others but if you have an idea of the work involved you can estimate more accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back