Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am making a VOIP/ PBX decision for a 600 station install...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPrash

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
US
I am evaluating the communications system and networking hardware for a complete new build of a new faculty that has started and will be complete next Sept. We will have a need for 600 station, ACD, multiple MOH inputs, voicemail, unified messaging, etc. voice solution. We currently run a Nortel PBX for the faculty we are in and it runs like a refrigerator. My main concern is we need to make a voice communications solution decision and if we go with VOIP we risk a virus like CODE RED swamping the LAN creating a voice problem too. Other things like switches in closets getting powered off, etc with impact the voice network then too. I guess I fear our CEO calling me up saying he saw we spent $650k on the new "phone system" and this echo, click, etc. sucks. Why cant it be as good as our old "dinosaur"? I am however intrigued with a VOIP solution. Any input please?

You're worrying too much...

As for the CODE RED issue, protect the Voice VLAN with access-lists at your layer3 devices... Therefore nothing will get to that VLAN.. problem solved.. And if the network is properly designed, there won't be any bandwidth issues.. IP telephony takes very little bandwidth, but it must have a consistent path..

You're switches won't get powered off if you limit access and put them on UPS.

I install AVAYA & CISCO IP Telephony systems... and they do infact work and our customers couldn't be happier..

if you have questions I'll be more than happy to answer..

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back