Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am installing an HP a705w mboard into a new case, need help w/cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobtech

Technical User
May 9, 2007
US
Here is the manual to the new case I got.

The motherboard comes from an HP pavillion a705w, MS-6577 v.3

I do not know how to connect the cables from the case to the motherboard: Power Switch, Reset Switch, HDD LED, Power LED,

In my old HP Case the cables were attached into one, where I could just plug it into the motherboard, but all of the new ones are separate.

If you look at the manual link above, there are no directions for this, only directions for the USB Connector and Audio, but not the Power. I can post pics if needed. Thanks for the help

My recommendation would be to dissect the HP case and follow the wire colors to their destinations, that will give you the roadmap for the new case's header. You may have to pry some plastic to get this info. If black and red go to the "On" button, write down the pins they go to on the HP multi-pin. Make a drawing showing the TOP of the old HP connector and what switch/light the wires ran to. Then connect the new case's headers to the appropriate pins, if the pin spacing is the same as the HP's.

The PWR SW & RESET SW can usually go either way, but the LED's have a positive and negative lead that can be determined by trial & error. Don't expect perfection the first time, if the PWR SW works the rest is cake, and at worst you know the layout of the old HP connector to make a splice-and-shrink wrap remedy as a last resort.

Many time there is teeny tiny lettering on the board at the MB pins that tell their function. I would not be surprised if HP did not do this though. Best of luck.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back