Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am having a problem and hope that

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianohlander

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
US
I am having a problem and hope that someone can help me find the answer.

The network I am upgrading uses a Cisco 1700 series router. It was configured through Cisco's ConfigMaker and has been OK, though it has been giving some problems (IOS software bug- I need to download the IOS update to take care of the memory fragmenting.) We will be moving the router to another location, so that is not the priority.

Today we purchased a Cisco 2611XM Router. We wanted to use ConfigMaker to configure the network to use that router instead of the old one. But for some reason, I could not find anyway to do it. The network is fairly simple (only 2 routers and about 5 connections) so we opted to simply design a new network in ConfigMaker and only hook up the router to the laptop that configmaker is running on. In other words, the original network is intact and running, but we have another instance of configmaker running on another computer. The router is connected to it through the com1 port. We redrew the network as close to the original. The only change is that the Ethernet protocal the 2600 supports is not 10/100fe but e0/0 (the other choice being e0/1).

So the network is basically the same as the original, as so we wanted to upload the IOS configuration to the 2611XM. Once that happened, we would then physically attach the router to the network.

Well, configmaker does not support 2611, it says, when I try to configure it. If we try autodetect on com1, it says that it does not support that device. The thing is, the 2611 router is in the Devices window, and the documentation says it supports it.

(today)

Let me give a situational update.

1. We used telnet to get access to the 2611xm router and were able to set up the initial (basic) configuration, following the instructions that came with the router. However, from there, we wanted to use configmaker to create the IOS scripts as I am not fluent in the scripting language.

Keep in mind that it is hooked up at the com1 port to a laptop with configmaker. We used autoDetect to pull the device up. Since it had a basic configuration to it, the Wizard asked for the password we had used. After entering the correct one, we continued to get the message that "ConfigMaker does not support this device"- despite the fact that it is a Cisco Router and that the 2611 router is listed in its device window.

2. Since basic configuration had given in an IP address, we hooked it up to the LAN and tried to AutoDetect through the network. Again, it discovered the device, asked for the password, and then said that it did not support that device. Tried uploading using the network IP. Nothing.

3. Using telnet, we cleared the configuration. We then hooked up the router to the actual network it will be on, thinking that perhaps configMaker could tell that it wasn't hooked up (a long shot, but we were running out of options.) Tried autodetect. Same as above.

4. Chose the 2611 from the Device list and added it to network as well as the appropriate connections. Copied exactly as possible (as yesterday) all the connections. The only difference is that instead of 10/100e ethernet for the 1600, it shows a 0/0e ethernet. Same line, differently named port so probably not an issue (and if it was, not really sure what to do about it, since the 2611 has only 2 protocol options for an ethernet connection- 0/0e and 0/1e.)

Then tried to upload the configuration (as yesterday) to the device through com1 (since it has no IP I cannot use the network.) Again, same error message.

Today:

5. Connected console port to com1 on computer that contains the original network design, in hopes that ConfigMaker might have locked the network to that single design file. 0/0e port is connected to a hub with the rest of the LAN. So it is connected to the network and to the com1 of a computer on the network. Tried AutoDetect on com1- same error: does not support this device. I have not heard back from Cisco, so I am literally running out of things to do.

I would really appreciate some help from anyone who has any ideas. Thank you in advance.

Ian Ohlander
ianohlander@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back