Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am building a file server but need advice on the hardware...

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchmen1948

Technical User
Jul 23, 2010
US
Hey all,

I am building a file server but I need advice on the hardware. First of all the server is going to be accessed worldwide, meaning that the server will be at work 24/7. This is a file server so it will be only for storage and retreval of data. The way that I want the users to connect is by way of a VPN connection. For VPN, I want to use the Netgear ProSafe SRXN3205 Wireless-N VPN Firewall ( is this vpn firewall router good and stable for what I need? Also I need wireless connection to be able to be established to the VPN router. I also want to go with the motherboard S5000PSLROMBR DUAL S771 SERVER BRD RET ( This motherboard supports multi-core Intel Xeon Processors and upto 32 GB of RAM. I am thinking of just using one xeon processor and 16GB's of RAM for now until the dataset grows. is this okay? Lastly, since this station will be accessed at all times and as such the dataset will grow really fast, i was thinking of including 10 2TB hard drives with RAID 10. This should give me a god 10GB of hard drive space stripped and mirrored. We need to ensure that the data is secured if the hard drives fail. Is there a better RAID configuration out there that can best suit my needs? Also, if you know a any good server cases that can support 10-12 hard drives, please let me know.

Any advice on the hardware? Will the hardware that I listed above be sufficient for what I need? Also, any input on better hardware will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance for all of your help guys. I really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back