Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I added a column to a table, but, I can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

furjaw

Programmer
Mar 27, 2006
US
I ran the code below that adds a column to an SQL table.
I refreshed Data Sources, but, the new column does not appear.
I refreshed Server Explorer and the new column does not appear.
I tried running the code again and I got:
"Column names in each table must be unique. Column name 'CaseNbr' in table 'Patient' is specified more than once."
so the column did actually get added, but, I can't see it.

Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Public Class Form1
Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Dim sqlConnection As New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Patient.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True")
Dim str As String = "ALTER TABLE Patient ADD CaseNbr Varchar(50)"
Dim command As New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand(str, sqlConnection)
sqlConnection.Open()
command.ExecuteNonQuery()
sqlConnection.Close()
Close()
End Sub
End Class

I ran into this yesterday, not sure if what I did will work. In my case I was using Enterprise Manager and I added a table to a database. I refreshed EM about 5 times and the table still didn't show up. I could run queries on it so I knew it was there. It ended up I had to close EM and reopen it.

I'm just saying if you hadn't already tried, maybe closing Server Explorer and reopening it will show the refreshed data.

[monkey][snake] <.

I can confirm with monksnake, I had the same thing a few weeks back, very weird. I closed and reopened, worked for me.

Michael

>what version sql you are using?

I am using SQL Express that came with Visual Studio 2005 Professonal.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express 9.00.3042.00
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.42
Operating System 5.1.2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back