Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i a new admin, exist a log file for know who connect and from where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiguel77

Programmer
Jun 2, 2005
MX
hi all, easy question.

i am new admin Db. i want configure my Sql server for know who connect and from where?
any white paper for read?

thanks

Books Online has a lot of good information. Also there is a very detailed book available on Amazon called Microsoft SQL Server 2008. I also have found two other books that are helpful which are SQL Server 2008 Administration, and Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting. You may also want to check out a few blog sites, my personal favorite is BrentOzar.com.

You can create a trace script that will trace 'Audit Login' and gather the columns that you need. Put that script into a stored procedure and have a job run it daily.

That's one way to capture login information.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

You can configure all login successes to be reflected in the SQL Server's errorlog file. Be careful of what you wish for, though.
In Management Studio, connect Object Explorer to the instance in question.
Right click on the server name, and select Properties
Select the Security section on the left menu
Switch the radio button (should be obvious but I forget the label offhand).

Watch logging LOGIN and LOGOUT. This can create large trace files if done incorrectly.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back