Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HyperV trying to do extended replica to external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello All,
We are having an issue with large extended replica servers doing their initial replicas. If we try to push out to our off site location, it works fine but takes so long that the delta files are massive and it cannot catch up and will send extended replication into a critical state and stop doing the extended replica. One alternative presented by MS is to do the initial replica to an external HDD and ship it to the off site location. Every time I try to set the extended replica up that way, it fails trying to create the initial replica on the external. I can directly replicate to any other server fine so it isnt a HyperV issue. I have tried replicating to a shared folder on the server itself instead of a USB external and have the exact same issue. I have tried granting all sorts of permissions but nothing seems to change the error.

0x80070005 general access denied is the error I receive. It will create the shell vhd on the server you tell it you want to replicate to it just will not spit out the initial replica to the shared drive or the external. Anyone tried doing this or ran into similar? Google is almost zero help on this one.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back