Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HyperV Failover Cluster Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all,
Curious if anyone has attempted to implement Failover clustering in an already existing HyperV setup. As we sit right now we have 5 Dell Blade servers operating with HyperV and replicating VMs between them. What I would like to do is set them up in a failover cluster, or a few of them with the mission critical VMs, so if we have a Host die or mess up we do not have to wait until it restarts to keep that VM afloat.

Any good suggestions or recommendations? Since we are doing this in a live environment, I was hopeful that this setup wouldn't cause us to lose any data or

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I did - and its not the greatest implementation.

Two disparate models of DL380 gen9 and gen10, connected to an HPE 2050 SAN.

The cluster aware volume works for the most part, however I think because some VMs reside on the on board storage, and some reside on the SAN, the solution plays up sometimes.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Hello Hairless and thanks for responding. When the failover cluster does function, does it seem to work as advertised? Meaning, is there almost no downtime with those VMs on the affected host? The main reason I want to implement this is we have a few mission critical SQL servers and I am always afraid that if we have a hung Host we have to hard power cycle that it will mess up one of those VMs and my luck the replication will be messed up too. We also do extended rep but that isn't important to this discussion.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back