Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperthreading / Dual Core licensing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

caimoss

Programmer
Apr 28, 2004
US
We're looking to purchase some new hardware for our CE 10 server. We currently run on a single CPU, no hyperthreading, single core; we have a CPU license.

So far I've only found this article regarding hyperthreading:

--Has anyone tried a CE10 CPU license with hyperthreading?
--Anyone have any resources or info about support/licensing for dual core?

I think (it's been a while since I looked at 10) that it is based on the physical CPU not the logical. Therefore no problem.

Now whether HT makes any difference to performance what so ever, is another question ;-)

Kingfisher

Hi,
While HT should not affect licenses based on a single processor , multiple core processors ( at least for XI ) will count as multiple processors:
License said:
3.3. Processor License. When the Software is licensed on a Processor basis, the aggregate number of central processing
units (“Processors”) running any Software components(s) (except the Web Connector, SDK, Report Publishing Wizard
and report viewers) may not exceed the number of Processors licensed. A multi-core chip Processor with N processor cores shall be counted as N Processors.

Not sure about CE10...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back