Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperthreading disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darnell1

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
US
I am trying to convert VHS tapes to either cd's or dvd's. I am reading some of the posts and have a couple of questions.

1) Why does the hyperthreading need to be disables in the Bios for this process?

2) Some people are saying to convert to a VCD format. I understand that you will have to play this on a dvd players but what media can I use, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. (I have Nero6)

3) My DVD writer says to only use DVD+RW, what is the difference between a DVD-RW and a DVD+RW, did I buy the wrong one?

For info, I just bought a P4 2.6 (800FSB), 2 HD's 120Gig and 80Gig, 512 DDR 400 ram, DVD+RW, CD+RW, Nvidia G4 5200 256Mg, Abit IS7e (I think) MB.

I plan on buying a WinTV for video capture

Thanks in advance!

"3) My DVD writer says to only use DVD+RW, what is the difference between a DVD-RW and a DVD+RW, did I buy the wrong one?"

DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW are more or less competing technologies, akin to the Beta versus VHS recorders years ago before the Beta finally died out. The only thing to watch for is that you get DVD disks that will work in your burner. CD-RW is pretty standard, can use both CD-R and CD-RW disks.

If I was to buy a DVD burner, I'd spend a bit more and get one that does both the - and the + disks.

#1; I'd leave hyper-threading enabled, don't think that makes a difference.

#2; if you have a dvd burner, stick with an mpeg-2 format & put them onto a dvd.

#3; the -/+ format wars seem to just boil down to who gets the royalty money for the technology. The + format is supposed to be more advanced, but I haven't seen any real difference in the functionality yet, they hold the same amount of data, same amount of video, same burn speeds, they work in pretty much the same number of players... So you're perfectly fine with dvd+r's in your drive.

As a matter of fact, at least in the stores in Chicago, DVD+R is more available than DVD-R. I hope you are not planning to actually use RW disks. I think R is better for this task, unless you want to temporarily burn a DVD and then reuse the disk for something else. Also, for long term storage, carefully consider the quality of the disk you use. My impression is that Verbatim is a safe choice, although there are other brands which are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back