Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperterminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloryhound

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
CA
Have a system win2000 pro, connecting to a call wake up system via com1, however when I'm "connected" I can't get a response from hitting "enter" If the call wake up system is logged into or reporting activity I see it on my screen and it updates, but I can send no commands to the wakeup call box. It appears that I'm not logged in/connected but I still get data from the remote device.

Do you have handshake wired? Some serial ports require this to allow data in.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

ummm not sure.. how do I tell?? from what I could find online the wired handshake is not something controlled by the pc, but actually the cable itself. Maybe I need a differently wired cable?

You might open up the D connector shells and see how many wires are connected. Basic communications require 2,3,&7 (25 pin) and 3,2,&5 (9 pin). Handshake requires 4,5,6,&20 (25 pin) and 7,8,6,&4 (9 pin). If you were missing handshaking you could force it by adding jumoers between (4&5)(6&20) on a 25 pin , (7&8)(6&4) on a 9 pin.
This would emulate on both ends, the normal handshaking of RTS to CTS and DSR to DTR.
You may find that the cable ends already have the jumpers, or they may be different than what I mention.
The 3 basic signals are "transmit","receive", and "signal ground". Tx is 2(25) or 3(9). Rx is 3(25) or 2(9). Common is 7(25) or 5(9). Tx on one connects to Rx on the other.

Ed Fair

are there certain com ports that require a handshake connection? It just seems odd that I can recieve information from the phone PBX, but I can't send. Cable is a custom item from the PBX ppl and I can't make changes to it.

This does not sound like a handshake problem to me. If you were having handshake issues, you should not be receiving data.

Some applications do not send your keystrokes back to be displayed on your screen. Your software is expected to echo what you type locally as it is typed. HyperTerm can be configured to echo locally.

Open the connection in HyperTerm. Click File-->Properties. Click on the settings tab, then the ASCII Setup button. Mark the box labeled 'Echo typed keys locally'. You should now see everything that you type.

It is possible that there is something else going on, but if the data you were receiving from the PBX seemed appropriate based upon the commands you issued, all should be well.

Yes, there were some that required the RTS. It has been years since I ran across it and automatically include the jumper when I build cables so if is an issue I wouldn't know it.
Even though you can't modify the existing cable there isn't anything that stops you from building an extension cable that manipulates wires in it to accomplish what has to be done.
Or you could get a 232 patch block and put it in the chain. One advantage with that is you could also measure voltages at the terminals to find out what is going on. You might need to buy a set of 9/25 adapters as the patch blocks are 25 and modern com ports are becoming 9 pin. And there are 25 pin 232 indicator devices that show voltage levels that you could throw in the chain as well.
And keep in mind that there is always the possibility that the PBX box may have lost a line receiver or Rxd on the serial port.

Ed Fair

MHKwood, sorry I didn't word my added comment right. I can't send commands at all, after I type a command and hit "enter" nothing happens.. no data return from the PBX, nothing. However if I log into the PBX from an alternet location I can get it to post data to that terminal.

There is not really much to be done in the way of configuration at this point. Either one of the serial ports is bad (less likely) or your cable is having problems (more likely).

If your PBX supplier made the cable, it is even more suspect. I would expect it to have crimped connections, which are broken more easily. Cables from the PBX manufacturer may be crimped or soldered, but usually have a bit better quality control.

You can test the serial port on your computer by simply briding pins 2 & 3 on the actual port. Open a connection in HyperTerm and type something. It should echo back on the screen (without the local echo option set).

If there are no warranty issues involved, you should be able to make your own cable with a bit of soldering skill. It is better to avoid the crimped connections unless you have the proper tool, which can be rather expensive for the PBX connection. Wiring diagrams are available for most on the internet, and there are forums on tek-tips that support a few manufacturers.

Better to short pins 2&3 on the far end of the cable. That will confirm Tx & Rx of the hyperlink machine and continuity of the cable.

I would agree that it is better to test with the cable, if you can figure out where 2 & 3 are wired to on that end. PBX systems often use odd connections for the serial port (and everything else, for that matter).

PBX people changed the cable and inspected wiring.. problem solved.. thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Not me. Not my kid. Never heard of them.

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back