Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperterminal settings changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpnut

MIS
Aug 27, 2003
I am trying to use Hyperterminal on my Windows XP box. I change the Data bits to 7 and the Parity to Even leaving the stop bits at 1. When I click OK on the properties window, I can see at the bottom of the hyperterminal window, that it has changed the settings from the default "9600 8-N-1" to "9600 7-E-1". As soon as I click on Dial, it is instantly changed back to "9600 8-N-1". I resolved this by copying a hyperterm file (file with a file extension of .ht) from a Windows 2000 PC. When I click Dial on that one, the settings stay set at "9600 7-E-1". Any ideas?

Your solution seem reasonable.
You can use Device Manager to set the port default settings.

bcastner, I tried what you said and set the default settings in Device Manager, but got the same results. When I try to create a new one, the defaults still end up 8-N-1.

My read is that the default settings are obtained from the modem property sheet. And customizations apply only to the named connection. There is not a provision to change the default for all connections in HyperTerminal itself.

To change the modem's port settings
1. Open HyperTerminal

2. On the File menu, click Properties.

3. On the Connect To tab, click Configure.

4. Make your changes on the General and Advanced tabs. Click OK, and click OK again.

Notes:

• To open HyperTerminal, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click HyperTerminal.

• This procedure applies only to connections using a modem or COM port.

• The changes that you make to the port settings affect only this connection.

The port settings for your modem are automatically set when you install the modem, and you typically do not need to change these settings. However, you can modify port settings for a connection with special requirements. For example, a server you connect to might require that you disable data compression or reduce the port speed. To get Help for an item in the Modem Connection Preference dialog box, right-click the item, and then click What's This?.

• HyperTerminal connections are saved using the .ht extension. By default the connections are saved in the Documents and Settings\user name\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Communications\HyperTerminal folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back