Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hyperterminal history

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioSteve

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
Hi!

I have a quick question for you. When did MS start putting hyperterminal on all its machines? I know that it comes standard with WinXP. Was it also included in Win2000? In WinNT? In Win98?

A large group of our users will be needing a terminal emulator. I want to know who already has hyperterminal.

PS- I have also heard of a utility just called "terminal". Was it an MS accessory in ancient times? Is it a viable substitute for hyperterminal?

There is a terminal emulator on every version of Windows back to 2.0. I'm thinking it went from terminal to hyperterm in either W95 or W98 . . . . Most of the features were/are the same or similar, configuration is different.

My point would be it doesn't matter. Hyperterminal is mostly useless for anything other than really basic tasks. Good for testing a modem, and it worked ok for logging into a text bbs if you really didn't have anything else available (if anyone can remember those), but for day to day use with an application, I would forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back