Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperterminal and Panasonic Voice Mail System

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmustard

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
US
I am attempting to program a Panasonic Voice Mail System (KX-TVS50). However, I am having problems with establishing communication with the device for any number of reasons.
Therefore, I would appreciate some input.

The instructions suggest using Hypepterminal by Hilgraeve using VT-100 to program the device via a RS-232 serial cable DB-9.

I have a windows xp operating system on a compac presario laptop model 1700. The laptop doesn't have a serial port so I had to use a USB to serial adapter converter. I downloaded Hyperterminal PE 6.3 onto my machine. On start up, the PC recognizes the new hardware and inquires for the drivers.

I contacted the manufacturer asking about drivers and they simply respond "Have no idea what you may be doing. No drivers are needed at all. The KX-TVS50 uses a Dumb Terminal program like HT set for 9600, N, 8, 1 with a Null Modem cable. PC on, HT set and ready to go, plug in cable, program VM, that's it."

Therefore, I am wondering if I have the right software version? or do I need to be using a different product version of hyperterminal? Any comments to help me with my problem would be appreciated.

The drivers it's asking for are probably the usb-to-serial converter... check with the manufacturer of that device. (i'm not sure from your post what manufacturer you contacted).

I've also found that frequently null modem adaptors and cables are bad... try swapping that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back