Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperteminal with IP connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2003
US
Hi,

I need to access my Option 11 over LAN with Hyperterminal. Is that possible? If so, what are the settings? (I have the IP address, but what PORT should Hyperterminal connect to?)

Thanks.

I have connected via LAN with Telnet before but it is not recommended so I don't use it. One of the biggest problems is that when the PBX is connected to your LAN then the PBX gets more broadcast messages than it can handle. That's why Nortel has specific configuration requirements in order for the LAN connection to be supported. Make sure that your connection to the PBX is VLAN or a private LAN not accessable to the common folks and your network administrator should make sure that the PBX is not receiving the broadcast messages.

Hey,

Thanks. The PBX is on a private LAN. The PC that I would telnet/hyperterm from is the only other device on this LAN (not including the 201i Callpilot server card)... The only thing it is used for is web-based CallPilot Administration, so it would be great if I could use it to manage the PBX, too...

I am having issues with my M1 Opt61c. I have an Omnitronix DL75 connected and am able to login and successfully put in my password. However when I connect thru my LAN I can connect to the switch and put type "login" and then put my passord. Only it does not let me login! Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

//

Attempting connection to 10.0.1.100 port 23
Connected
Data-Link
TTY 01 SCH MTC TRF 16:36
OVL111 IDLE 0
>LOGIN
PASS?

WARNING: THE PROGRAMS AND DATA STORED ON THIS SYSTEM ARE ...BLAH BLAH... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOGIN.

OVL015
TTY 01 SCH MTC TRF 16:36
OVL111 IDLE 0
>

// THIS IS WHAT PRT OUT ONCE I PUT THE PASSWORD IN.

THANKS,

I use a iolan , so it does not ever receive broadcast messages, then I use hyperterminal to connect to the port on the iolan via any PC on my LAN, works perfectly.

This question has been answered at least 10 times. You cannot use hyperterminal you must use a rlogin client. Do a search for rlogin

Not true!!! You absolutely can do HyperTerminal to login to your PBX... You just have to be a bit more clever about it...

1. Get an old PC and install Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003.

2. Enable Terminal Services (2000), and/or Remote Assistance (2003).

3. Plug your serial cable from your PBX into the back of this PC

4. Login to the Windows box and then use HyperTerminal from there (Typically COM1, or on weird systems it could be another COM port). 9600, 8-N-1, no flow control..

5. Give your Windows box an IP on your LAN and as long as you're on your LAN (or your corporate VPN from outside the office) you should be able to access this from wherever you are in the world!

This is how I have mine set up.

Chubbster is right, I am using Hyperterm to connect to all my switches. Have servers at 6 sites, have hyperterm icon setup to connect to switch from server when needed. Also have program to set time once an hour from server.

Mike

There are mulitple threads regarding accessing the Nortel PBXs vis IP / Lan
I found that following the instructions for LD 117 & using a product from for the rlogon terminal emulation provided a great 'first attempt'-
remember to setup your IP address info to fit your site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back