Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlinks and SHIFT key

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Technical User
Nov 13, 2000
CA
I did a intranet for my departement and I need to open .xls and .doc document in excel and word.

A person in the company with winnt and IE 5.50 (both same as me)
hold the shift key and the document is opening in the application and not in IE.

We didn't find any setting for that.
Any ideas

Thanks

Daniel

bigdan

I have had the same problem. Although a lot has to do with the way the intranet is set up, you can get documents to open in their native application via your code.

My solution is to use "file://" at the beginning of the URL in a link instead of "
Also, you can try using the target attribute of an anchor tag to get it to open in a different window. For this, target must be equal to "_blank".

e.g.
Code:
<a href=&quot;file://[URL unfurl="true"]www.google.ca/notes.txt[/URL] target=&quot;_blank&quot;>google notes</a>

(Note the above link does not really exist.)

dolphyn

I tried it and it still open in IE
Note that excel is opening but the result is in IE.

I found the KB 162059 in Microsoft web page regarding my problem.
I did it and now I have new problems.
The files open in the appropriate application now.
Here's my 2 problems.

1- With a password protected word document when you click on the link, word stop to prompt you for a password if you have the right in that folder!!!

2- With a password protected excel document, if a person open it in &quot;write mode with the password&quot; the hyperlink stop to work.

Note that if you open a new IE window and paste the path of the files in the address bar, it's working fine for both (excel and word) the user is prompt for a password, etc.

For that I open a case at microsoft tech support.

I partially solve my problem with a asp script that create a temp.url file with the path of the file and after that i redirect the browser to that page.

Now a new problem:
With that manner IE prompt us for a open/save dialog box.

Can I bypass this dialog box??

Anyone have a clue on the security concern for password in word and problem with excel?

Thanks

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back