Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hyperlinks access to word/excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmb1

Technical User
Sep 19, 2000
GB
I am trying to place a hyperlink on a microsoft access form to get to get to a microsoft word and/or microsoft excel document and place a hyperlink on the word/excel file to get back to access again. The hyperlink that appears will be dependant on the text in a certain field. I'm just not sure on the code to write to open the files in word or excel or how to get back.

Any help will be great

DMB1 :) [sig][/sig]

Hyperlinks are easy. I am using Office 2000 so this reply relates to the use thereof.

In Access insert a field of type "Hyperlink" and use code to populate the link to something like:

hyper = "c:\my documents\excel\excelfile.xls"

Then in the excel file from the INSERT menu select 'Hyperlink'. You will then be able to browse for the Access database. Then when the link is placed on the excel spreadsheet, clicking on it will return to Access.

Similar for Word.

Simple! If the situation requires a more complex solution then please let me know.
[sig][/sig]

I don't have a lot of experience with hyperlinks, just attaching some images to forms. But, if done the way you say, when I am running Access and have the form with the link up, and I click on the Excel hyperlink, Excel should start. Then, when I am done doing whatever there, I click on the hyperlink and Access starts. Wouldn't I have two copies of Access up and running at that time? Basically, I think he needs to handle this in VB code so that it either shutsdown Access or just switches control back to the other application.

I know this doesn't help answer the question, but it might stop a future problem. [sig]<p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?[/sig]

I think Smashie's idea will be ok but if Visual Basic was used does anybody have any idea on what the programming would be and would it be any better than using the simple 'insert hyperlink' from the menu bar?

dmb1 [sig][/sig]

In Access 2000 at least, using the hyperlink to go BACK to Access from Excel / Word does NOT open another version of Access. If it does in Access97 then maybe that's 1 reason to upgrade (although Access2K has a lot of other problems as I have discovered!) [sig][/sig]

Here is an elementk-tip from several months ago.

Easily link to Office documents from Access (97/2000)

A short while ago, we told you how to simplify creating hyperlinks
that jump from an Access hyperlink field to a Web page. As you may
know, you can also create hyperlinks in Access that jump to other
Office documents. However, the process of specifying the document
and the bookmark you want to jump to can be cumbersome. Fortunately,
there's an easy way to specify where in a Word, Excel or PowerPoint
document that a hyperlink should jump to, without even having to
open the Insert Hyperlink dialog box. To do so, open the target
document and the Access table that contains a hyperlink field. Then,
select some of the text at the beginning of where you want the
hyperlink to jump to. While holding down the [Ctrl] key, drag the
selection to the Access hyperlink field you want to set up. When you
release the mouse button, the previously selected text is used as the
hyperlink text and the link becomes active. Note that if you're
linking to Excel data, the target worksheet name cannot have any
spaces in it.
[sig][/sig]

i am writting a sql statement to create tables and within this sql statement i want to have a home page as one of the field names, but don't know what the data type should be. I know it would be easy to go to the design view and change it from there, but i not willing to do that. I have been through the MS Access help as well as on the web and cannot find what i need to know. Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back