Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hyperlinking a pdf file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlnewbie

Technical User
Aug 9, 2000
I've scanned in pdf format, several hundred images of licences and certificates. Now I want to make them available to many project managers in a database that hyperlinks to the file or shows the pdf image. I can link (in access 97)to just about every other type of file except pdf. Is there a way?

ps
I tried inserting the scanned images as jpegs, bitmaps and ole object, however the db gets too large and printing also becomes a problem.

JLopez
Lopez31@ATC-Enviro.com
Environmental Services @ Your Service

Try using the Shell command in access to simulate opening a file externally. You will have to know th epath to your linked file.

Hyperlinking to PDF files shouldn't be a problem. I frequently use them in my databases. I suspect that you have some sort of setup problem with your Acrobat Reader and its file type associations.

If you use your Acrobat Reader program directly, rather than using hyperlinks on an Access form, can you open and view the scanned images?

Next, can you view PDF files from hyperlinks on Web pages using your Web browser?

Then, do you get an error message when you try to display a PDF file from your Access form? Or does simply nothing happen--the cursor just sits in the field? What behavior of the computer indicates to you that the link is not working?

Hyperlinks to PDF files are no different than to JPG, GIF, BMP, or any other file type, including Microsoft Word documents, etc. They should work for you if everything is set up properly with your Acrobat Reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back