Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink to non-HTML 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAOK

Instructor
Sep 9, 2002
US
I have a hyperlink (relative address) in the main page of a frameset. The link is from a gif to a tiff with the target as main.

The point is to allow the viewere to click the gif and download the tiff (for publishing purposes), not view the tiff.

When the viewer clicks the gif, they get an empty graphic symbol in the main frame, not the download dialog.

I thought creating a link to a non-HTML file always downloaded to file, not tried to display it.

I posted this on the FrontPage forum, then thought this may be a better choice. Any help?
SAOK

i think tiff is also a recognised IE extension. therefore it tries to display it.

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

zip the TIFF file and have a link from the GIF to the ZIP file. You won't be using as much bandwidth and for users with slow connections that's always a plus.
or you can have a message stating that users need to right click and then "Save As" from the menu...

vbkris & grtfercho,

Thanks! Thought tiff wasn't IE recognized. ZIP!!! What a great solution!

SAOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back