Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink to legacy of Accounting app screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdttek

Technical User
May 8, 2002
US
I have developed a bolt-on to a a legacy accounting app. The bolt-on downloads data so that users have ability to sort, prioritize, filter and combine data more efficiently (for example, sort Account receivable balances at a portfolio level by amt outstanding or age). Bolt-on does not write back to accounting system, so users must then go back to the accounting sytem and find the appropirate screen and record in order to to process accounting entries for the record that was identified for "action" on the bolt-on.

I would like to provide users ability to quicky "Hot-key" back to specific accounting system transaction entry screens directly from the Access (2000) bolt-on. (App will already be open). Best case, I would like to go to a specific screen AND have the selected bolt-on record alreay "found" on the accounting app screen, if possible.

Has anyone done this and if so, where would you suggest I start? Is this even possible?

Regards,

JDTTEK

If your legacy app is VBA compatable then you just need to create a reference to its object library file (.olb) and then maniplute its objects in the same way as other VBA apps.

If, which is more likely, your legacy app is not VBA compatable then you need a terminal emulator app such as Attacmate's Extra.

Extra is itslef VBA compatable and works very well with Excel and Access - see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back