Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink to different spots on a page??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameszr1

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
US
I have a Frequently asked questions page listing 6 questions. I named it FAQ.htm

example:

1. Will the tax ever be reduced?

2. Are there other options?

I want to take the 2 answers to the above and put them on one page called FAQ1.htm. The answers are rather short and when I link question number one above to FAQ1.htm I know it will go there, but if I link question 2 to FAQ1, it may show the first question and answer when I want it to point to a specific area on FAQ1. I have each answer in a seperate cell on FAQ1. Could you help me in how I can to to a specific place on FAQ1 when linking from FAQ?

Thank you very much
James

Bookmarks will do it for you.

On FAQ1.htm assign a bookmark to the answer to question 1 and another bookmark to question 2. You do that by highlighting the header or a perhaps a phrase in the first line of question 1's answer. Then choose Insert > Bookmark. You can keep the default name (which is whatever you had highlighted) or assign whatever meaningful name you want to the bookmark, for example "taxes". Assign a bookmark to question 2 also. Save the file.

If you look in the HTML tab you'll see something like
<a name=&quot;taxes&quot;>Question 1</a>.

Here's how you create the hyperlink to that bookmark.

In FAQ.htm, highlight &quot;will the tax ever be reduced&quot; or add an image or button for your link. Choose Insert > Hyperlink. In the URL section add FAQ1.htm. In the bookmark section, select &quot;taxes&quot;.

Paul

You'll need to create some bookmarks. Open FAQ1 and pick a word from where you want it to jump to. Select Insert>Bookmark. Give it some kind of name that will help you know what it is. Save the page.

Leave FAQ1 open and open FAQ. Select Insert>Hyperlink. Choose FAQ1 for the hyperlink and click the Bookmark button. It'll show you all the bookmarks on the other page. Select the appropriate one.

Linda Adams
Linda Adams/Emory Hackman Official Web site Official web site for actor David Hedison:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back