Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink security issue when link is created in Excel and put in Access 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnsolvedCoding

Technical User
Jul 20, 2011
US
I am having an unusual problem and don't know whats going on. There is a program I made several months ago that takes information on an Excel sheet, creates the correct information for Access and then is imported into an Access table.

The Access table shows a few columns of information with the last column being a hyperlink that opens a document for the user.

Here's the problem, I can open the hyperlinks without any warnings, however my co-worker who double checks the information is getting popups for pretty much every link saying that they are going to open a hyperlink do they really want to because it could be a security issue.

What would cause the warnings on their computer and not mine?

Not knowing the version of Access is problematic. Suggest you go to the trust center and make sure the settings are the same on both installations.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Forgot to mention it could be a security setting on the other PC's browser.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

XP with Access 2007

I did find this article but it still doesn't explain why some workbooks are getting the warning and others aren't.

I also looked at the Data > Connections and when the Edit Links is an option found that the workbooks have links to other workbooks.

But again, why his computer and not mine? Why not all the links?

Any chance the warning is coming from Windows security - i.e. Defender or Firewall? Any third party antivirus software?

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Its possible but I doubt it. I share an office with the network administrator and he can do pretty much whatever he wants within the realm of computers and does the second pass testing for this application. All of these documents are on our network and some have been there for years.

Brief background -
Files come from client and get unzipped by the network admin.
Files are filtered, sorted, renamed and otherwise worked over by our IT Manager.
I get a list of the relevant information, compile all the data in Excel into the correct columns and create links and then import the information into the needed Access database and table.
The information in Access is checked by me and then the network admin does a second pass because of the critical need for accuracy with this particular process.

In short, the second round testing that has been having the issue which is what makes this more confusing. My testing had limited issues and those were quickly resolved. Second pass testing has had a majority of the files popup with the security warning when the hyperlink is clicked.

In addition, previous versions did not have this problem.

A couple of different sites, including Microsoft, have said that to stop the warning from showing up the registry needs to be changed. However it doesn't make sense that this would show up now instead of in previous versions.

A change was made recently to the link formating in which it went from the UNC to a letter and a website does indicate that can trigger this warning to show up.

"You must use EXACTLY the same FORMAT of the path in your shortcut as is stored in the trust center."

Example - \\Servername\Folder to F:\Folder could be a trigger.

On the flip side, I can find nothing else to support or deny the statment from the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back