Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink in Parent Report to Subreport

Status
Not open for further replies.

mychal

Programmer
Feb 13, 2002
US
I have a main report with several subreports in it. Can I create a hyperlink to place in, say, the Report Header, that offers a link to one of the subreports?

Let's say the third subreport is on pages 14 through 25 of the parent report. Can I place a link on page 1 that will take the user to page 14?

Ideally, I'd like to have a group tree type functionality somewhere on the first page of the report, either where the group tree would normally be, or at the top of the first page. Sort of a Table of Contents of links.

Gracias.

So which is it that you want, a table of contents or hyperlinks to subreports?

In general subreports are bad ideas anyway.

Try including technical information in your posts, at the very least, the version of the software involved.

Next describe more fully what "Sort of a Table of Contents of links"

If you'd like suggestions from others on design rather than pigeon holing them into your approach, post background info:

Crystal version
Database/connectivity used
Example data
Expected output

Here's a whitepaper on building a Table of Contents:

-k

Sheesh. Sorry.

I'm using CR 8.5 to design the report, and I'm displaying on the web using VB and .NET.

I have a main report which serves only as a way to deliver several reports to a user in one fell swoop. The sub-reports are completely separate, and in fact don't even report against the same data source or application. I do not have write access to any of the db's that the reports run against.

So, I want a user to open up the main report, and have a way to move directly to each sub-report.

I'm afraid that in your snippiness, you held me to a high standard of linguistics. I did not literally need a table of contents. Only a means to get to a sub-report which isn't necessarily available on the first page of the report. I am interested in any and/or all means to that end.

Perhaps this means nothing to you, but why do you regularly find it necessary to post such terse repsonses when a question is asked in what you believe to be an unclear manner?

You could format the subreports to be on-demand subreports. Then if you place them in the report header, the user can click on them to view them directly. If these are unrelated subreports, with no links to the main report, you will still need to add a field to the container report for the subreports to appear, although you can suppress the field by suppressing the section it is in. You could then suppress all other sections except the report header and format each section to "suppress blank section." The report header with listed subreports then becomes a table of contents (sort of) that will take you directly to the selected subreport.

-LB

I likes it! That is the first way I tried doing it, but the reports need to be run at the same time every day, so I've scheduled the parent report. On demand won't work for me.

I'm having a brain storm now, with no Crystal in sight. Perhaps I'll mess around with drilldown tomorrow, thereby hiding the subreport until the user is ready to see it. If it works, I'll post here how I did it.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back