Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink Address Truncation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnR

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
I'm using the .hyperlinkaddress to call up a web page. However there seems to be a limitation to the sixe to the link for the URL. I truncates the URL. The URL I am using is quite long. I works if i just cut and paste it into the browser but the .hyperlinkadress doesn't work and only patrially fills in the link.

Anyone know of a work-around of a fix to this problem?

Is it longer that 255 characters? If that is the problem I am not sure what the solution is. If you just wanting to view the file you could use 'shellexecute' I suppose

Grant

Its actually 684 to 695 characters depending upon one variable. This hyperlink opens up a specific webpage and fills out various values on the fields on that form.

What's this shellexecute? I'll search for that. Thanx for your quick response. Grant

The code below will open the default browser
'Module

Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
Public Const SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1

'form
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim url
Dim retval As Long
url = "retval = ShellExecute(Me.hwnd, "open", url, "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL)
End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back