Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperion vs Microstrategy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

imatt

Technical User
May 15, 2007
US
Hello,

In my company we are trying to decide which BI suite to implement. Hyperion or Microstrategy. With my research I still have not figured a good reason to go one way or the other.

Could anyone help me figure out which one of these is better?

Thanks!

Well, I take it that you have established some criteria on these tools, before you started your research.
I have done a few tool selections and it is not unusual to have a set of 2 tools between which you cannot make a firm decision on which is the best.
After you have verified that both Hyperion and Microstrategy meet your demands (and nice-to-haves), someone simply has to make a decision (be it based on pricing or gut-feeling or flipping a coin or whatever).
But only with the tools you have verified to suit your needs as completely as possible.

Of course if neither Hyperion nor Microstrategy meets your demands, you should opt for not choosing at this moment, and re-evaluate your demands.

There is a study called The OLAP Report. You can get some free results here. I believe there is a fee for full results.

If you still can't make up your mind, you need to determine if either product will be good enough. If yes, then you may want to go with a vendor analysis: market share, financial health of company, completeness of strategy and vision, product cost, etc. The vendors may want you to sign a certificate of non-disclosure before sharing some of that info with you.

If you still can't decide, the final test is to do a side by side prototype/proof of concept with each solution. Then evaluate the results. How long did it take to build? Skills required? How do the users like each solution? How do the technical support people feel? The help desk? You get the idea, I think.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back