Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyper-V Migration - HDD transplant | Windows Server 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmin3

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2008
GB
Hello Gurus,

is there any reason why I would not want to remove a physical disk with VM from one host machine and install it on a new Hyper-V server by using an import wizard?

I have not come across any discussions on this topic, most typically use live migration tool or export wizard.

I have transplanted drives on number of occasions without any problems, but want to make sure I am not doing something silly.

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

wmin

So you have a physical disk that has a VM on it and you want to take that disk out of the current host server and move it to another host server and have it work?
Why would you want to take out the physical disk when you could export the VM from Host A, transfer it across the network and then reimport it on Host B?

because it is sitting on a rather expensive SSD disk. I have already moved the disk and it was pretty straight forward procedure.

thanks for your reply.

Ah got it, that makes a little more sense. I'm glad to hear that it was a straight forward process, it should have been. Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back