Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyper-v for SQL Server and RAID configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTube

Technical User
Aug 4, 2006
GB
Hi all,
I’m new to Virtualization and Hyper-v. I’m building a new server running Hyper-v 2012 to be used for (host) tow servers: a SQL Server and a Domain Controller/DNS/DHCP server both running Windows Server 2012 guest operating system. My question is about the RAID configuration on the physical server. The server is capable of handling 8 hard drives. I have two suggestions and would like your input on them:
Configuration 1:
2 Drive RAID 1: to be used for the host O/S only (Hyper-V 2012) and nothing else installed on this drive
2 Drive RAID 1: to be used for one virtual hard drive assigned to SQL Server as say C drive (this will be used on the SQL Server guest o/s to run SQL Server and the transaction log files)
4 Drives RAID 10: to be used for an addition VHD assigned to SQL Server as say E drive (this will be used on the SQL Server guest o/s for storing the data files). On this same RAID I’ll also create another VHD for the DC server
This is a total of 8 hard drives

Configuration 2:
2 Drive RAID 1: to be used for the host O/S only (Hyper-V 2012) and nothing else installed on this drive
6 Drives RAID 10: to be used by all guest operating systems for a VHDs’
This is a total of 8 drives as well
Configuration 3: any other suggestions?

I guess the question is creating multiple physical hard drives on the physical server using the same RAID controller degrades the performance of the physical server and therefore, you may be better off using fewer drives?

I hope my question make sense to the experts here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back