Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyper Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanelMaker

Programmer
May 17, 2005
US
Hello, I am trying make a hyperlink that changes multiple frames at the same time, is this possible?

I know this sounds very simple and there's probably a very simple answer but at this point I can't find it.

I'm not a guru of web design, but it seems to me that the "target" property is the main subject here. In that case, I'll answer that you can either target the frame (target="_self") or the window (target="_parent") you're in, or create a new window (target="_blank").
I do not know that you can modify a set number of frames in a single URL. However, you can set up the Notes frameset so that a link clicked on in a menu frame will bring up a new page in data frame.
Is that what you want to do ?

Pascal.

Well... kinda, I understand that part that I can bring up a new page in a target frame or the parent or just a new frameset. But Im trying to cut down on space so that I dont have to create a new frameset for each hyperlink, I want only the pages within the frameset to change. Ex. like if I click on a top level link it brings up in another frame of links underneath it and the content for those links within another frame while keeping the top level links up on top of the frameset, so I would be changing two pages within the frameset rather than a whole new frameset. It sounds soo simple yet it's all so complex. I'm really new to notes I only started programming in notes about a month ago, but I've been designing on the web for about three years now just never with notes.

-Panel Maker

You certainly do not need a new frameset for every link. The link can target the same frame so the new page loads there and nothing else changes.
That said, I would like to remind you that design space is not so important as to worry about adding another frameset or not. Framesets are rather small things by definition, and your db will grow a lot more with the number of documents and views it contains than by adding another design element.
For example, I have a rather complexe db in use that contains more than 60000 docs. The design accounts for 5.5MB, the db size is over 243MB.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back