Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HW Dual Booting A PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampyreUK

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
I am sure I used to be able to hardware dual boot my PC but I don't seem able to any more.

By hardware dual boot I mean I have a removable drive caddy in which I have a 40Gb ATA drive set as master, fixed in my system I have a 160GB drive set as slave. In principle (and this used to work I thought) when I unlock my removable (essentially cutting its power), for the cost of a slight delay, the system will boot off the slave ... that definitely works. When I relock the drive (restoring power) the system will power up and boot off the master ... that works too but there's a problem.

My problem seems to reside in the BIOS (which is why I wonder if some kind of standard Award BIOS “upgrade” is responsible) where I can (must) set the order of booting. So I set it to my standard Floppy --> CD --> Hard Disk and then set the boot order to my removable master (Seagate) followed by my fixed slave (Maxtor) and that's fine too. If I then unlock my master drive and boot from the slave the BIOS loses the Seagate Removable and when it puts it back (next time I lock the removable in place) the removable is second in boot order where I don't want it.

In other words yes it works but I have to revisit the BIOS each time I want to use the removable drive as my boot disk.

I know I could use a software boot loader solution but I am really not keen on those mainly because I use my removable disk as a test system and I REALLY don't want those mucking about with my stable system or the partition of the drive it is on i.e. the reason I opt for hardware boot is as a means of protecting my stable system from the ravages of OS installations.

Any ideas would be helpful.

you can install the boot menu on a floppy - so it doesn't touch the hard drives at all.

Notes - putting the menu on floppy makes all the features available in the free version (ie, booting from multiple drives).

If you set the menu up with both drives connected, I think it will only work with both drives or just the master connected

(I can't comment on the vagaries of your bios - I have used similar strategies - as have no idea what might have changed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back