Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hung Up Office Install/Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

55plus

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
Environment: Win XP Pro - Office 2000

I uninstalled Office 2000 SR1 (long story as to the reason) and then ran eraser2k.exe. I then reinstalled Office 2000. The "completed successfully" message appeared. Problem: Whenever I open an Access mdb file, Setup starts to run (message appears "preparing to install...") again and it appears that it is going through the install process. BTW, the Access mdb file does open. This only happens when opening an Access mdb file. All other file types behave as expected.

Note: I have "Run All from My Computer" set for all Office programs and other components.

Are there any files/registry entries that I can nuke to get this repeating install to stop?

TIA.

I might suggest going into add/remove programs and then go to add or remove features. change the installation for access to not available. That should uninstall the program then try starting in safe mode and follow steps above save choose Run all from my computer. That might install it again correctly.

See if that helps best of luck.

Thanks for the reply.

Problem solved! I realized that the O2K Disc 2 install was probably incomplete. It was taking an eternity last night and I probably ran out of patience and cancelled it. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!

I started it up again, with Disc 2 in the drive, and then left the room! It took over an hour (not sure why) but it did finally complete. At that point, the problem was resolved.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear it worked. If your install is taking long time. I would suggest two things which you may or maynot have done. Do a full windows Scan disk of your hard drive and then do a defrag. These will take some time. So make sure to disable any Screen savers or power save modes of your system.

It sounds like your hard drive might have some problems if its taking extra long to install. So this should help with the life of your drive.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back