Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge text files blowing WORD out

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemt

Programmer
Dec 17, 2000
US
I am trying to put huge text files (40Mb or so) in WORD so I can put them in a file on a CD and a web page. They are blowing WORD away. How can I handle these huge files? Shem

Why would you want to put these huge files anywhere? LOL

It's probably not Word that's "blowing out", but your system. How much RAM do you have? Have you cleaned up your hard drive lately? I'm guessing you'll need at LEAST 128MB RAM, a clean hard drive, and a fresh reboot with nothing running in the background (hit ctrl-alt-del and end task on everything except Explorer and Systray), and then run Word and attempt to open the file(s).

If you need to know how to clean your hard drive, email CleanHardDrive@Home.com. You'll get an auto-reply. No message or subject required.

Unfortunately, my mail is off right now because my cable ISP mail is hard down. Our servers at work were down when I left too, and I'm wondering if it's not a really bad virus that has hit the world...
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thanks for the suggestion but there is 256Mb RAM on a freshly formatted, freshly booted 800MHz machine. Shem

Did you consider breaking down the files to manageable sizes? and then insert a link (web) or instructions to the next document? ("Please see NextFile.doc")

40MB per file? holy cow! <mooing in background> If you have pix, save them seperately and create (er..insert) object as ICON.

Hope this helps somecow (er..I mean somehow) LOL
--MiggyD It's better to have two heads to solve a problem from different angles than to have tunnel vision to a dead end.

You did say TEXT files, yes? Are they really text or do they contain pictures as MiggyD suggests?

And what do you mean when you say they &quot;blow Word away&quot;? Do they hang when you open them or do you get errors? I've have had to leave files alone for a long time to get them to open in Word or Excel sometimes. And, even tho the task list says they're not responding, they have finished their task.

I agree with MiggyD. Try more manageable chunks.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

To Dreamboat:

Firstly,

Congrats on getting to the 100 marker. ;-)
Yes, text files it was. I just wanted to cover some other bases, just incase.

Secondly,

My boss once asked me to create labels using a comma delim. db from another department. It was given to me on two disketts (I still don't know why they didn't compress it first-off...but I'm glad they didn't).

It only contained names and addresses of approx. 15,648 people. I had joined the two files using the binary copy from dos to ease my task at hand.

When I opened the .txt file, Word 97 was only able to read from A to V. Everything after &quot;V&quot; were displayed as boxes and some other characters (other than ledgeable ones).

I then used QB--just cause it was quicker to program in it--and I verified the conjoined files were intact.

Needless to say, I ended up using each file/diskette seperatly. I believe this is what was ment by blowing WORD away. And my file was approx 2.6MB when joined, I can't imagine a 40MB file.

--MiggyD It's better to have two heads to solve a problem from different angles than to have tunnel vision to a dead end.

These files were text (no pics) but were loaded with columns and headers and footers (oh, my). I finally got WORD to accept it when I inserted rather that just opening it as a file.

Thanks for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back