Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge .rpt File Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2007
US
I have a question that I've been unable to get answered on any of the other forums.

I am using Crystal Reports v10.

The vast majority of my 300+ reports are 8,637KB. Many of the reports that also include sub-reports are much larger 17-18MB. Only a few reports are what appear to be "normal" size - 10 or 12KB.

I can see no report settings that are different in a 10KB report file and a 17MB report file.

No, I'm not saving the data with the report file.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you have Large STATIC parameter drop-down lists in your reports...?

or any images that aren't jpegs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." ~ Nietzsche"

Some of the reports are 17MB and include a small OLE object image - a jpeg I guess. When I delete the image the file size goes down to 8MB. Still too large. The majority of my report files are 8MB. Each one of these reports includes the same image as above - a small 1in. by 1in. logo. When I delete the image and save the file shrinks to 12K.

Any ideas how I can include the logo and still shrink from 8MB to a reasonable size.

btw, thanks for the tip. I never imagined that little image could take up so much space. Nearly 3GB of space for my production reports.

If you're not bothered about losing a small amount of quailty then i opened the picture in M$Paint. found it was actually massive, shrunk it down to sensible size and then replaced it in the report.

"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." ~ Nietzsche"

WHat I don't understand, I guess, is that the jpeg is only 51KB, but when it's added to any report the report file goes from 12KB to 8MB.

What is it that Crystal does with a 51KB jpeg to make the report file jump to 8MB?

Kinda weird, from 12kb to 8MB. I have logo image in all my reports and it does not take that much space. I try to delete it and it does not make that much difference, but my image is only 19k.

You can resize your image and make it less than 51kb, around 15kb or 19kb like my image and see if that helps, and you can do that either in Paint or Photoshop.

Windows XP also includes an cool Image Resizer tool. I use that to get my JPG's down in size a bit. Took a report from 3MB to 1 few K just by using a smaller image for the logo.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back