Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge Problem with Winsock Application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucyv

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
US
Okay, I am having a huge problem with a winsock "chat" program I wrote in VB 6.0. I know this is the VB.NET forum, but I figured mostly everyone here has experience in VB 6.0 in one form or another.

A couple of years ago I wrote an application for some clients of mine. This app has a chat feature that allows users to chat with each other. I put a lot of bells-and-whistles into it (rtf color changing, sounds, a buzz feature, etc) and everyone is really happy with it.

Last week a client of mine informed me that they are using the app on about 18 workstations in their area. Everything is working fine except for one computer. For some reason this computer can start a chat session but it can not receive a chat.

Background Info: when a user wants to start a chat with a computer the system firsts pings the computer to ensure it is on the network. Once the computer is pinged, then it instantiates the chat session, which in return creates an winsock array element that handles the individual chat session.

I think it's important to note that although other computers can not start a chat with this computer, it can instantiate chat sessions with outside computer. They, in return, can reply to any instant messages, because the chat session has already been estabished, eliminating the need to ping the original (problematic) comptuer.

I first experienced some problems with Windows XP due to their internal firewall. When the firewall was turned on, no outside comptuers could ping the computer, which in return disallows for an chat sessions. Once the firewall is turned off, then everything works fine.

The strange thing is that all kind of system configurations on this computer has been turned off (I think). The reason why I say "I think" is because my client is in another state and I do not have direct access to they system.

Does anyone know what might be causing the computer from being connected/pinged to? All of the workstations have the WIN XP firewall turned off, all are on the network with the correct profile configurations, all are built using the same image, and all workstations have the Cisco VPN installed. I originally thought this was the root of the problem, but we had the VPN service disabled and it still did not solve this problem.

Can anyone help me out??? My clients are getting very impatient, and their IT technican is starting to point the finger.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-lucyv

Can your clients go to a command prompt on another PC and ping the problem PC? If the answer to that is no, then your app is most likely not to blame, since it's working on 17 or 18 other PCs.

Does your app ping by computer name or IP address? If it's by computer name, it's may a DNS problem on their network. The offending PC may not be registered properly or at all in their internal DNS.

If it is by IP address, I would suggest that they check their router/switch settings to make sure that ICMP packets are not being filtered from the port the PC is attached to.

Hope this helps.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

jebenson,

From what their IT guy has told me, yes they can ping the computer from another PC. I originally thought this was not the case because the Windows XP firewall usually prevent a PC from being pinged from another.

At the top of my head I do not remember if I'm pinging the computer via their name or IP address. I will have to look at the code for this one.

What are ICMP Packets? Yesterday, while I was on the phone with the IT guy, he was manually setting up an program exception from within their firewall, hoping this would fix the problem. He asked me if I was dealing with ICMP, but I didn't have an answer for him.

-lucyv

ICMP stands for Internet Control Message Protocol. ICMP supports packets containing error, control, and informational messages. The PING command uses ICMP.

When the IT folks do their ping, is it by name or IP? Can they ping by both? If they can ping by IP but not by name, it is probably (most likely) a DNS issue.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

I believe they are pinging the PC by its name. But I will have to check on that.

-lucyv

jebenson,

It worked! It turns out it was trying to ping the computer using its name. Their IT guy refreshed their DNS database and now everything works great!

Thanks for your help. You get a STAR!!!

-lucyv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back